Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What I Did With My $50 Cellular Rebate


Saturday, I went to my mailbox and found a $50.00 rebate card from my cellular company. This was a welcome break from the recent steady diet of bills I can't pay. I am one brokedy-broke-broke Bohemian Mama. But as I did some math in my head I quickly realized that this would not keep the lights on or my internet connection humming as I ramp up my online sales at The Bohemian Closet. What to do, what to do...

Suddenly the answer came to me like a bolt out of the blue. What if I took that $50 Visa card and went out to my favorite vintage haunts to see what I can do with it over the next 30 days. (I wonder if Morgan Spurlock has thought of this one!)

So here are the ground rules: I will not spend the initial $50 on anything but clothing to sell on eBay. Not necessarily vintage, but whatever I deem to be marketable. The proceeds will go to keep the utilities on, and the rest will be invested back into this little project. I will track it separately, and report the results daily. We'll see where I stand on March 26, 2011.

Okay, so here goes. The first part of making this a profitable venture is to invest wisely. I head off to a local resale shop were I have had my eye on a faux fur coat for quite some time. Arriving there I am thrilled to note that it has been marked down to half price at the end of the season, and I have checked ahead of time to make sure it will sell this time of year. To my delight I find they sell well all year round, although probably better in December and January.

I am disappointed to notice that someone took a pair of scissors to the fur on the lapel, leaving a fairly noticeable gash. Okay, glad I caught that before I purchased, since there are no refunds at this particular venue. As I mosey down the aisle, I do notice some enticing lace spilling out of the lingerie department and...bingo, someone has brought in a group of vintage slips. Most have defects that would keep them from bringing a decent price, but I score several that will sell well.

I spent the day “investing” the rest of my $50. In fact, that's not entirely true, because I still have $6.00 to spend.

Here's my haul for the day:
  • The 6 slips
  • A very, very nice Jessica McClintock prom dress that should sell with prom season approaching
  • A truly exquisite Spencer Alexis two piece ensemble. I am not familiar with the brand, but I know killer quality when I see it.
  • A funky gypsy skirt with lots of lace
  • A rare pair of 80s original Guess jeans in acid wash denim with the little ankle zippers
  • An 80s high waisted acid wash denim skirt
  • A very artsy Sandy Starkman blazer
  • A beautiful black evening wrap/shawl/scarf all edged with sequins, in perfect shape
  • A white bat-wing sequined 80s top
  • A truly lovely champagne colored mother-of-the bride ensemble

I have already listed the Sandy Starkman jacket. As of this posting, it has had 5 viewers, one watcher, and no bids.

The Spencer Alexis two piece outfit is scheduled to go up tonight, 


as is the Jessica McClintock prom dress. I was delighted to see that the Spencer Alexis should bring a really nice price as well.


The vintage slips are going up Thursday night. I will post pictures as they are available.

Will I keep the lights on? Will I have something left over to reinvest? Where will I stand in 30 days? To learn the answers, you know what you need to do...follow this blog.
 You can also check out my eBay store: The Bohemian Closet

No comments:

Post a Comment